Course Level: Beginner
CPE Credits: 20 (2.5 days)
The objective of this 2.5 day “hands-on” training course is to acquaint the
participant with the primary features of the ACL software system in order to
enable him/her to successfully perform data analysis on various types of
data files. The ACL environment will be discussed including navigation
techniques, creating and working with ACL projects and views, and the
function of the overview feature. Data access methods will be presented
and explained. Real-world exercises will include the use of the primary
ACL data analysis commands including: Count, Total, Verify, Classify,
Stratify, Statistics, Duplicates, Age, Sort, Summarize, Sample, Join and
Export. Graphing, reporting, record filtering, and expression building will
also be presented.
At the conclusion of this course, each participant will be able to:
- Understand the role data analysis software plays in supporting
- Understand and recognize data analysis terminology, as well as
common data types and structures.
- Create and manage ACL Projects and Project components.
- Navigate within the ACL software system in order to utilize ACL
commands, functions and other software features.
- Perform basic data analysis operations on various types of data
- Utilize the reporting and other output features of ACL to generate
meaningful reports, charts and graphs.
- Lecture / discussion: 50%
- In-class applications: 20%
- Section exercises: 30%
Participants should have basic computer skills, including at least some
experience using applications operating within the Microsoft Windows
Who Should Attend:
IS/IT Auditors, Financial and Operational Auditors, Internal/External
Auditors, Analysts, Accounting Professionals, Investigators, or anyone
interested in learning to use the ACL software system.
PIA Consulting will provide comprehensive course manuals containing
presentation material, command, function and other ACL reference
material, class exercises, and glossary sections.
|A. Understanding the Basics
- Data audit and analysis techniques
What is ACL?
- Understanding common data types
and data structures.
- Obtaining your data.
- What's new in version 9.x.
B. The ACL Environment
- Navigating within ACL / The ACL
Main Menu structure.
- Creating and working with ACL
- Creating and managing ACL Views.
- Working with the Overview feature.
C. Accessing Data
- Data paths and data downloading.
- Defining data files.
- Accessing / downloading ODBC-
|D. Analyzing and Understanding
- Using the Verify, Count, Total, and
- Using the Sequence, Duplicates,
Stratify, Classify, & Age commands.
- Graphing and reporting within ACL
- Filtering records
- Building expressions using the ACL
Expression Builder feature.
E. Manipulating and Managing Data
- Using the Extract, Export, Sort, Join,
Merge, Summarize, and Sample
- Working with common ACL
F. Comprehensive Class Exercise
G. Course Wrap-up & Discussion
|PIA Consulting is registered with the Texas State Board of Public |
Accountancy as a CPE sponsor. This registration does not constitute an
endorsement by the board as to the quality of our CPE program. State
boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual
courses for CPE credit.
|Introduction to ACL|
"Boot Camp" Edition